Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon used and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph received its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and place liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a problem and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flame Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the households after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and pet animal care. Immediately after, World Battle 1 website required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the warfare ended people were in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. Using the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to remain together more than ever. Through a national grant, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially inserted the US into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph had a people of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic troops to the warfare. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Community, adding a water tower in 1949, along with click here a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its normal water supply, and proceeds to do so.